Born 1972 in Dallas, TX, Philley currently lives and works in Austin, TX. Her work is owned by private collectors in Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Ithaca, Cincinnati, Dallas, Houston, Ft. Worth, Austin, Kansas City, St. Paul, Minn., Montreal, Canada, Ingolstadt, Germany and Bilbao, Spain.
Current and Upcoming Exhibitions
• Bass Concert Hall, Group, Austin, TX. March 15-June 31, 2019
• Link & Pin Gallery, Two-Person show. Austin, TX. Sept. 27-Oct. 14, 2019
• Georgetown Art Center, Five-Person show. Austin, TX. July 26-August 31, 2020
• West Austin Studio Tours, Showing in Home Studio, Austin, TX. May 11-12 and 17-18, 2019
• Women of West Go East, Group at CloudTree Studios & Gallery, Austin, May 5-7, 2019
• Howson Public Library, Solo, Austin, TX. March - May, 2019
• Art for the People Gallery, Group, Austin, TX. Feb. 2-April 27, 2019
• 6th Street Gallery by CAMIBAart, Group, Austin, TX. January 19-Feb. 24, 2019
• Brick Oven on 35th, Austin, TX. Oct. 28-Feb. 2, 2019
• Art84 Gallery, East Austin Studio Tour, Group exhibition, TX. November, 2018
• Round Rock ArtSpace Gallery, Group. Round Rock, TX. Oct. - Nov., 2018
• Link & Pin Gallery, Group. Austin, TX. Oct. 6- Oct. 28, 2018
• Art for the People Gallery, Group. Austin, TX. June 27 - October 20, 2018
• Round Rock ArtSpace Gallery, Group. Round Rock, TX. June 9 - July 27, 2018
• Bruegger's Bagels, Solo. Westlake, TX. July 16-August 30, 2018
• West Austin Studio Tours. Guest of EyePlay Studio, Group. Austin, TX. May 2018
• Cypress Grill, Group. Austin, TX March 2018
• Orange CoWorking, Group. Austin, TX. January - March 2018
• Workwell Austin, Solo. Austin, TX. August - November 2017
• East Austin Studio Tours, Group. Austin, TX. With ARTiculation ATX, November 2017
• Cherrywood Coffeehouse, Solo. Austin, TX. 2010
• People’s Gallery, City Hall, Group. Austin, TX. Feb. 2009
• EXPO 2008, 500X, Group. Dallas, TX. 2008
• BFA Degree Show, Hunter College Leubsdorf Gallery, Group. NY, NY. 2006
• Student Show at Hunter College, Group. New York, NY. Fall 2004 - 2005
• Monroe Arts Center Group Exhibition, Group. Hoboken, NJ. 2003
• Red restaurant, Elizabeth St., Solo. New York, NY. 2001
• Liquids, East 10th St., Group. New York, NY. 2000
• James Fuentes Gallery, Broome St., Solo. New York, NY. 1998
• Cafe Loon Loon, 25th St., Solo. New York, NY. 1998
• Artist, Inc., Austin. Summer 2017
• The Laguna Gloria Art School, Outdoor Sculpture Design and Fabrication courses. Austin. 2015
• Hunter College, BFA. New York, NY. Completed art requirements 2005
• Southern Methodist University, BA Communications. Dallas. Graduated 1995
is pure energy
It has the power to affect our mood, transform our experiences and emotionally connect us.
My acrylic paintings are a mix of abstract expressionism and op-art; a merging of intuitive poetry and rigorous process. I’ve developed a style of masking-taped lines that swerve and layer over and under each other. They play tricks on the eye, silly little games really. I hope that people look at them and then want to keep looking, maybe without even understanding why.
Every few years my work shifts, which makes sense because life seems to do that, too! Right now, I am looking to nature for inspiration. My most recent series are based off the colors, light and feel of local creeks in the early spring and summer. The movement of the water and the changing hues of plant life through the seasons provide endless content. I’ve also rediscovered wood as an amazing surface to work on, and I am using the naturally occurring grain as a map of sorts for my lines to follow.
The beauty of abstraction is that I can make these incredibly personal paintings, yet the viewer doesn’t have to know me to find an entry. The colors, movement and energy the painting emits can activate a new experience for each person.